Tuesday, November 6, 2012

First Monday in November: Compliments

Since October, I was warned that November is gonna be a busy month. Looking at so many bold dates in my calender that imply meeting schedules and deadlines, I've got to brace myself for the sleep deprivation, depression, rest home during the whole weekends, head straight home after work, and any part thereof.

So yesterday, on the first Monday in November, I came to work wearing a shirt for the first time. Yes, it was my very first time wearing a shirt to work. I wear many dresses, tops and skirts, anything but a shirt. Why? It's not that I dislike shirts, in fact, I'm really comfortable wearing one. It's just a shirt always gives me a sense of rigidity, which is very dissimilar to my work environment. Despite all the seriousness that we put in our work with entrenched discipline, I'm thankful that the people in my office dress pretty casual.

I was in blue. No, it was not an idiom, I meant, I was wearing a blue shirt and a blue skirt. When I got to the office, I bumped into my co-worker, he went like "Hey, you look so pretty today. Marry me?". I dodged it by smiling. It seemed like everybody did notice that I had never worn a shirt before and got all shocked when I wore one yesterday. Luckily, they said, I looked so good in a shirt.

I met Jonathan, the American guy who happens to be a bloody VP. I usually can't get along really well with him but yesterday, he complimented me saying "Hey, nice shirt! and it's matching with your blue skirt too. I think you have such a good taste in fashion!". At the very least he was really being nice to me and for once, I didn't get in a quarrel with him.

3 pm, I went for a coffee break with my co-workers. As I don't drink coffee, I had a cup of Milo. Anything related to our work was the topic. Our tight schedules, planning, goals, some even vented about them. It was either the Monday blues or mere pressures in us. 

Then out of nowhere, one of my Indonesian co-worker: the closest one, my partner in crime, my ace buddy nonchalantly said "You look pretty today, Fir". Why was I shocked? Because regardless of the fact that we're close, he never complimented me. Not even once. When we were back in our room, he played his playlist and the song was "Kau cantik hari ini / dan aku suka" :). I pretended that I didn't hear or even notice the song was playing though, because it would be really awkward for us both *grin*.

What? I'm only blogging about the compliments I've got? Yes. Because women never forget compliments. And I will not want to forget each of them as well.

Btw, I like these candid pictures taken by my co-worker when I was sipping Milo at the office lounge.The suitable caption for these photos would be: Diluted the Monday blues in a cup of Milo.




So, I just want to share about how happy I was to get compliments only by wearing a shirt. As I've once ever tweeted, you have to give someone a compliment when they deserve it. Why? Because a compliment could be an achievement for somebody. Moreover, it could be a form of recognition or a simple acknowledgement. At the very least, by giving a compliment we subtly convey one's worth and that can make one's day. Monday (in) blues were not that bad after all.




 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0